Monday 12 November 2012

Stocking up on 'Shell.'

Estee Lauder DoubleWear Foundation, £27.50 for 30ml.


When I was told that Estee Lauder were increasing their shade range in Doublewear foundation from 18 to 30 I was really excited. With a foundation shade expansion, I assumed this meant they'd cater for both the pale and deep end of the spectrum comprehensively. 'Shell' was my closest match in Doublewear, the palest with cool undertones, it wasn't a perfect match but good enough as it didn't leave tide lines and blended into my neck well, but was discontinued when the new shades came in last month.

I was disappointed when I swatched the new 'pale' shades which are 'Cool Bone' (supposedly the equivalent to Shell but it is much richer and pinker in colour) and 'Ivory Nude' (far too deep) against it.
Unfortunately these new shades are unwearable for me, they're too deep so I went out and bought the last 'Shell' on counter. While DoubleWear isn't necessarily my favourite foundation- (sometimes I do find it a bit much) it was reliable in terms of it's impeccable staying power and great for bad skin days as it does airbrush the skin out well. Definitely not one I can wear everyday, but one I like in my possession! I'll be rationing my last bottle!

Has your foundation ever been discontinued?



12 comments:

  1. Definitely not yet - my favorite full coverage foundation is from Cover FX, a relatively newer brand but truth be told I'm still looking for a great liquid foundation! Your post about Estee Lauder's foundation has sorta swayed me against them. Oh well, the search continues. Thanks for the lovely post though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't let it put you off unless you are extremely pale, it's a great foundation.x

      Delete
  2. I didn't know this! I'm on my third bottle of Shell! I'm now on the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't stand when i find a product and it's discontinued, especially hair care. i have 20 bottles of Sunsilk that i hoard like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, Sunsilk! It is so annoying. It's the third time in my life that a company has discontinued my shade.

      Delete
  4. I've never tried Estee lauder but 'Shell' looks like the perfect shade for me too, what a shame! I give up wearing foundation in winter as I'm too pale!
    Daniella x

    http://daniella-r.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give up if you want to wear it! Dainty Doll or Illamasqua go super pale x

      Delete
  5. It seems that skin tones at both ends of the spectrum have trouble with foundation. I am actually half Iranian and so I shouldn't be the palest person, yet I find it so difficult to find foundation that doesn't look too peachy on my face. Chanel is my current pale face go to. One assistant at a YSL counter advised me to fake tan so that I would fit the foundation! lol.

    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think enough brands cater for black skin or really fair skin, as well as people with undertones that aren't hugely pink or yellow! I have been meaning to check out Chanel for a long time now. LOL at the YSL lady- some things people say to sell...awful awful awful! xx

      Delete
  6. I wear Shell in summer, but like you it wasn't perfect colour-wise - although I LOVED the coverage. However, in winter it's just too dark. I tried Dainty Doll last winter and its staying power is horrid, but then I guess I was used to EL. I have very neutral undertones, as I'm not pink but I'm certainly not yellow, just pale, and I'm struggling to find a good foundation. Have seen that Illamasqua go very pale, but I'm yet to read a good review about their foundations, except on the colour front. I spend a lot of time outside, and find that sometimes some foundations will look fine under the lights, but as soon as I'm in natural light I look awful - anyone else have this problem with being pale??

    Nonetheless, I shall keep out on the hunt for a good pale foundation!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had the EXACT same problem. I wore shell then when I went back to my counter in Portsmouth (worst manned counter in universe)she told me about the 'change' and being incredibly pale I thought cool bone would be fine, but as you said it's very pinky and leaves me ghostly. (She also told me that cool bone is the colour all the 'girls' at work have been using to look like ghosts at Halloween ha!)I now mix cool bone with vichy dermablend (for full coverage) and it's a slight improvement. Shell was the first foundation I felt comfortable in so I am slightly in mourning!Great Post.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from people and will always try my best to reply. Recently I've been getting lots of 'follow me and I'll follow you back' comments, these aren't welcome, and no, I won't follow you if you continue to spam me!!