Wednesday 16 January 2013

Midweek Post: Crescent Moon Mani


I think it has been a little while since I posted my Midweek Post. I do try and post every Wednesday, but as you all know sometimes life just gets in the way! I am not one for nail art per se, but I love the crescent moon manicures that have been flying around since they were first spotted on the runways in 2011 sported by the models at Vena Cava. Since then we've seen it on celebs such as Dita Von Teese and as I had some free time this morning I thought I would give it a whirl. 

I knew I fancied a dark nail polish as I have been wearing Illamasqua's 'Whack' the last few days and while it's been a lovely bright contrast against the icy backdrop of the recent weather I felt the need to go back to near- black. I chose Essie's 'Stylenomics' which is a very, very deep green and was released in the autumn collection of the same title. 

After applying base coat and letting them dry I cut a semi circle shape out of a piece of sellotape and popped it on top, painting the rest of my nail with Stylenomics. I made sure to wait a little more time than I normally do to let these dry, I am a real impatient nail painter but knew I didn't want to mess this up by whipping the sellotape off too quickly and leaving uneven smudges behind. Two layers of top coat later et voila! All in all it took me about an hour but it wasn't as laborious as I had first expected it to be. Making do with sellotape I don't think I did too a bad job (all the online tutorials I read and watched were using stationary circular paper binders as their guide, but I didn't have any of those to hand.) I wanted to leave the cuticle end my natural nail but there is the option to have it coloured you would just need to alter the process slightly.

A nice twist on my normal painted nail. Have you ever done a crescent moon manicure?


18 comments:

  1. Very well done! Pretty - I also like this nail look and looks great with dark polish... I shall attempt soon myself too... U inspired me. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have inspired someone! Let me know how it goes :) x

      Delete
  2. I love how you used an almost black shade for this, it looks stunning! I also love your (engagement?) ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I love near-blacks. And yes, engagement ring- he done good :-)

      Delete
  3. I really like this x
    that-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw i love cresant moon manis! first saw it on khloe kardashians blog, did you see that? you did well to improvise with selotape, i dont think id have the patience hehe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't see that! Ha ha well I had a free morning ;) x

      Delete
  5. You did a great job! I've never tried this look, it's fab xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have tried and failed with the half moon mani a couple of times now. i like the look but we don't get on. urs looks very winter chic xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe that you failed, you're probably a perfectionist! Thanks hun xxx

      Delete
  7. I tried this the other day and its actually really hard! Yours look great xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this effect :) I really want soething new like this for my nails but I didn't know how so thankyou for sharing!! Fingers crossed it looks as good as your mani.

    www.ngofficial.blogspot.co.uk

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, love your nails x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from people and will always try my best to reply. Recently I've been getting lots of 'follow me and I'll follow you back' comments, these aren't welcome, and no, I won't follow you if you continue to spam me!!